Friday, November 23, 2012

Update from Russia


Through the train window beside me a landscape of rolling, snow covered hills, fields and villages lit by a setting sun, slides gently by.  Brother Brian Niemitalo, Misha Ustjuzhanin and I boarded our train in the 1000 year old city of Kazan and are on our way to Russian Republic of Udmurtia.  We have just shared a meal of bread, cheese, tea and prayer and now all of us are sitting apart quietly lost in our own thoughts.  Brain is across the train isle from me writing in his journal, stopping, pen in hand, now and again to peer reflectively out his window.  Misha, our long time friend and translator also watches out the same window lost somewhere in his own thoughts.  As for me, I am going to take this rare opportunity to begin writing an update for the mission blog. 

 

My last update was written from Rzhev, a city located a few hours southwest of Moscow.  Since that update Brian and I have spent time in Cheboksary, the capital city of the Chuvash Republic and Yoshkar Ola, the capital city of the Mari El Republic.

 

Much of our time in Cheboksary was taken up in the university where we continue, year to year, with the help of Christian teachers in the university, to meet with English students to share our language and faith.  During our time in Cheboksary we also had a large public meeting which I had previously arranged and planned together with university teacher, Victor Ivanov and professional musician and song writer, Evgeny Panteleev.   The meeting was held in Victor's church with the help of his pastor, Nickoli, and some members of his congregation and was open to all, but was specifically designed for the university students to allow us an after class venue in which we could focus exclusively on the gospel.  At this meeting I took my text from Isaiah 53 and beginning there attempted to reveal, as simply and clearly as I could, Christ Jesus through creation to His blood soaked cross and triumphant Resurrection.   Brian spoke after me from Mark 1:14-15 and John 15:1-11. 

 

For the 30 or so people at the meeting, "The Raw Gospel", as Christian musician Evgeny Panteleev, put it afterwards, was spoken.  It truly is rewarding to see the Lord working in the hearts of the students.  I, along with Brian Niemitalo, Shane Juuti and the other local Christian teachers have been patiently sowing seeds in the university for some time and are beginning now to see see the very positive fruit of the Spirit in their hearts.  One young man, for instance, named, Artoym, wrote me after one of our university class meetings saying: "Thank you Gregory! I'm very glad I was fortunate to see you again.  And this time I understood everything you told us! Also you have inspired me to know more about God.  You've given me a great feeling of happiness and peace! Thank you very much! Hope to see you again!"

 

We spent four very fruitful days in Cheboksary (I have really only touched on all the things we did) then moved on to Yoshkar Ola.  We only had a day and a half in Yoshkar Ola, so our host, Pastor Alexander Mityakov, made sure to use every moment to full capacity.  We arrived early to Yoshkar Ola by bus from Cheboksary and Alexander picked us up in his little car.  He informed us that he had arranged a meeting for us with a group of psychologists near the bus station and within ten minutes of our arrival Brian and I found ourselves sharing tea and the gospel with four professional psychologists in their small city centre office.  It was wonderful to see their hungry eyes as we spoke.  The director, who spoke English and translated for us as we shared, grew very excited when Brian told him how we are not saved through works, but through faith alone in Christ Jesus.  With a big smile and suddenly bright eyes the director exclaimed "I have never heard it spoken of like this before!"  The meeting was tempered, though, by a young man who arrived a bit later.  He was not Russian, but a Belgium exchange student working with the psychologists who didn't believe at all in God or in a need for God.  He was a very intelligent young man and debated with us patiently, but we hope that our Lord's Spirit, who is most patient of all, might have touched his heart with the biblical answers with which we countered his questions and opinions.

 

After the hour long visit with the psychologists  Alexander drove us directly to the college where English teacher,  Ellina Panteleevna, and many of her students were expectantly awaiting us.  I had met with Ellina and her class once the year before and they have been excitedly waiting for my return.  We talked with the class and shared our language, culture and faith, but I was careful yet about going too deeply into faith subjects as I didn't feel it was quite the time.  It is a sensitive matter to be preaching in the classroom and I felt Ellina still uncomfortable with the subject, so in this way we try to patiently watch and wait for the right times to share the gospel.  One of the things we always do is leave our contact information.  I have many, many Russian friends on the Russian version of facebook which allows any students, teachers or others to keep in contact with me if they wish.  Some of the veterinarian students from this college, for instance, had keep in contact with me over the year and even helped the teacher to set up our return visit to the college.  These students are usually very open to faith matters.  Before we left from Yoshkar Ola some of the veterinarian students even saw us off at the bus stop where we fellowshipped and prayed together with them before our departure.

 

After the meeting with Ellina and her students Alexander drove us to another school in his village which he and his wife, Anna, have been praying to minister in.  It seems the Lord heard their prayers and now we too have been able to meet and make friends in this school and even have been invited to schools in other districts as it happened that there was teacher seminar taking place during our visit and so we also spent time getting to know teachers from other Mari districts.  From that meeting we went to the village church and visited with a village family, then later had a bible study at the church.  Directly after the bible study Alexander took us back into the city where he had arranged for us to meet a Muslim friend of his and also a young woman who is a Rhythmologist.  (I had met with this Rhythmologist and her group last year as well). At this meeting we had Christians, a Muslim, a Rhythmologist sharing a meal and all debating and discussing our various versions of truth.  Of course we know there is only one truth and that is Jesus Christ, so as bizarre as this meeting may have seemed, still we felt the leading and guiding of God's presence   I am sure this will not be our last meeting together with these dear souls He is calling to.   By the time we got home and finished our prayers before bed that day it was after 2am.. such is a typical day for us in the Russian mission field...

 

Since I began this update on the train many days have passed.  Unfortunately I ran out of time on the train and didn't get this update finished, let alone sent out.  We have, since I began this update, visited Udmurtia, Birsk (In the Republic of Bashkortostan)  and are now in Ekaterinburg.  Brain and I went to sleep late again last night after a visit with a young man and his father who Brian has been ministering to here.  We have slept in this morning.  It has been our first full night's sleep in many a day, but now we must be up and out.. I will take this update with me and if God allows, will find an Internet cafe someplace to send it...

 

I don't know if I will have time to write another update before we leave for home, but there are many more wonderful stories to tell.. If I have to I will write and send another update from home.. 

 

God bless you and thank you all for your prayers,

 

Gregory and Brian in Russia, 

No comments: