Monday, March 29, 2010

"Whatzit Like?"

Many have wondered what it's like to travel around the world full time and share the Gospel of Christ with people in many countries. Well, first of all, I've got to tell you that there is somebody who is very aware of what I am doing and that is Satan himself. Before a major trip he invariably pulls out all the stops in his "Resistance Plan" like I call it. This time when I arrived in Ghana I was feeling pretty pummelled. Returning from breakfast at my hotel the first morning I saw that the door to my room was open and I wondered what was going on! Then I heard the sweetest melody coming from inside. It was the maid, little and very black Joyce, singing to her heart's content a song of praise to God as she did up my room. "Do you believe in God?" I asked almost unecessarily. "With all my heart!" she said enthusiasically. That changed everything! The clouds were rolled away, the sunshine of God's grace flooded over me again. After that I called her "Re-Joyce".


I often stay in modest hotels when I travel here in West Africa since it is usually totally impossible for the locals to accommodate us in their humble homes. Meals served outside the hotels and restaurants are an experience. The basic staple here is rice. This is usually served with some kind of thick grainy sauce which is dark brown, dark green, or black with chopped up chunks of chicken or fish in it, bones and all. It staves the hunger.


Maybe I don't always have the best appetite for the local food but the locals do seem to have a great hunger and thirst for the Word of God. The seminars God has given me to teach are about themes such as God's Plan, God's Will, Salvation (new one this time around), Spiritual Conflict, the Holy Spirit and so forth. He also gave me one on "Lasting Change" that seems to make the greatest difference practically. I think I've mentioned before how I have everyone write down on a paper a list and explanation of their current difficulties, doubts, fears, guilt and especially sins. Then in groups of about six each person chooses one or more of these things to make an open confession about to the group. The other members of the group then lay their hands upon him/her and bless him/her in the almighty name of Jesus and the power of His blood. It has proven to be life changing as the participants learn and practice the office of the keys and the washing of the feet and leave their burdens to Jesus in the process. That's why I call it "Lasting Change". The papers and everything upon them are then committed to the Lord and subsequently destroyed - into the sea of grace.

The circumstances of these seminars,however, are not always ideal. Last Friday and Saturday I conducted one with Pastor Frank Famiyeh, a most faithful servant of the Lord here, at the Liberian Refugee Camp in Buduburam, Ghana. Sixty people were in attendance in a church where the electricity had been shut off. That meant that the fans, lights and PA system were not working either day. The temperature was easily 120 degrees. Already by the second hour it looked like I had taken a shower in my shirt, but when the blood of Jesus began speaking and souls were washed and cleansed by His Spirit there was no longer a power shortage!.

This week I am now out in western Ghana conducting two seminars with Pastor Frank - one for two days and another for three in the city of Tarkwa. The venue is a beautiful big church in the city - with fans that work. There are almost 200 pastors and church workers attending. A very special experience. I will include some pictures taken today. Starting next week we will also be holding similar seminars, but this time in Togo and then later in Liberia, if God so wills. Speaking of God as you know He is incredibly good! Before going to bed last night I flipped open the Gideon Bible on my nightstand. Hebrew 6 verse 10 kind of jumped out at me::


"For God is not unjust to forget your work and labour of love which you have shown towards His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.!"

THAT'S WHAT IT'S LIKE!

In God's love and peace,

Dennis   (please see pictures below)

 
Pastor Frank Famiyeh, President of the Apostolic Lutheran Church of Ghana, with his translator Cecilia at the seminar. He spoke in English, which most of the people understand. She translated into Akka, a language common to the people in that area, who also have their local dialects and languages. I also spoke in English of course and then Pastor Frank translated for me most of the time.



Group shot of many of the almost 200 pastors and church workers who attended the seminar in Tarkwa.


The ladies present wanted a photo with me. A real thorn among the roses!


No comments: