Friday, November 18, 2011

God in the small things! From Guatemala!


God’s Loving hand in the little things.

In preparation for my time in Guatemala I was in prayer that the Lord would open my eyes and ready my heart to be His hands, feet, and mouthpiece in the little seemingly unimportant times.



God has been faithful to answer my prayers in numerous still small ways. One I will treasure occurred in the midst of the dental clinic. It was my job at the clinic to clean and sanitize the tools before and after each patient.   Between each patient I had a little down time. As I washed the tools I prayed the Lord would use my free moments for His honor and glory. 

A few patients later I noticed a young girl a few patients down the line, looking nervously around the room.  I longed to go over to comfort her, but my Spanish was limited. As I walked over to her I noticed a Spanish hymnal sitting on the bench a few feet away from her.  I picked it up and asked her to teach me a Spanish hymn.  She was shy and reluctant, but she agreed to teach me.  She taught me her favorite song and I sang Amazing Grace for her in English.  I was so blessed and encouraged by her praises to the Lord. 

We continued to sing as she waited her turn to see the dentist, her in Spanish and I in English.  It was a beautiful and precious time of praising our Saviour and Lord together. I think the Lord that our time together stilled her heart and kept her mind occupied as she waited to get her teeth worked on.

Thank you Jesus for working in what seem to be the small unimportant times of life. This moment will be forever treasured in my heart and memory.

Valerie Haataja (one of the Guatemala group November 2011)


No comments: