Monday, October 31, 2011

South Africa thoughts by Calvin and Debra

Calvin and Debra Matson flew home from South Africa several days ago. They were only able to stay here for 10 days because they needed to get back to their children. They are definitely missed here in South Africa! They were an important part of our team! Here are some journal entries they shared with me before they left:

A piece of Calvin's journal from 10-19-2011:

Extremely homesick, mostly missing our children (although I have enjoyed talking about them all and sharing their pics), and adjusting to the African culture and lifestyle.


I found this prayer in the refrigerator door in our shack (yes, they do have refridgerators, microwaves, and t.v.'s. And, yes it is a shack, made of lightweight barn tin and 2x2's with newspaper jammed in the cracks to keep the wind, bugs and rain out):

Daily Prayer

Bless me Heavenly Father, forgive
my sinful ways. Grant me
strength to serve thee, put purpose
in my days. Give me
understanding enought to
make me kind, so I may see
all people through your eyes.
Teach me to be patient and
honest in everything I do. Help
me see when I falter, and
hear me when I pray. Receive
me unto thyself, that I may
dwell in your presence forever
and ever. Amen.


It's time for bed, just saw a mouse on the table a bit a go (will try to catch him tomorrow). Going to the Chest Hospital tomorrow after a group meeting. Thank you Lord for your hedge of protection on our travels and trip thus far. May we continue to thank and trust you as you provide.

From Debbie's journal, Sunday, October 23, 2011:

Wow, what a day. Thay all have been good, great and amazing at times, but today sure touched Calvin's and mine and Bob's, Dan's, Joyce's, and Dennis' hearts. We went together to a Juvenile Detention Center called Bosasa Youth Center. When we arrived we expected to see boys hanging around outside that we could meet and invite to church. No one was outside. We were taken to the room where church was to be held. Shortly, 14 young men arrived.


Bob Maki started preaching. Almost right away you could tell they were hungry for the Word and for forgiveness. They were so receptive. Dennis spoke a powerful message as well. It was a privilege to be there as they came for prayer and to hear their sins forgiven. Again, they were so receptive and genuine. They begged us to come back. They so want to learn more and be encouraged. May they not be there alone. We pray God will send people to disciple them. They don't really have anyone who will beleive in them.


A couple of days later we did go buy these boys Bibles, but they haven't been delivered yet. Dennis and others hope to return to deliver them and share more with these boys as soon as they can. The local Christians don't want to be reaching out to these boys because they are "getting what they deserve". We pray that that attitude will change quickly since thay are at a very vulnerable and receptive stage in life.

Our team is now in the small village of Maskiet. We ask for your prayers as we continue in the Lord's service!

No comments: