Tuesday, February 9, 2010

THE GOOD PART

This was received from Pastor Dennis Hilman today from the mission field in India. 

Dear Family and Friends - wherever you may be!

Yes, here I am in exciting India once more. I have many responsibilites this time but just a couple hours after my arrival here - following an almost sleepless 26 hour trip from Finland - came one of the more challenging. I was asked to address 100 pastors who had gathered to study and learn from God's Word and have fellowship with one another.

I looked out over all of these intense faces, trying to focus, noting their serious and avid anticipation and greeting them with the Telegu greeting of "Wandanalu!". We then turned to the 20th chapter of Matthew - the text, a parable by Jesus, which concludes with "the last shall be first and the first shall be last". God opened His word as he has promised. As I spoke I could not but help notice a little boy who had found a vantage point on the steps that mounted the wall behind the group of pastors. He sat there intently through the whole message. It was only when I got out my camera during the last hymn that he got a little shy. As I saw this nameless little boy - who disappeared immediately afterwards - I thought of the millions of other little Indian boys and girls who might never have - or take - the opportunity he had just had. It reminded me so much of Mary who sat at Jesus feet as her sister Martha busied herself in the kitchen. This boy, like Mary, had chosen the good part. For me he will undoubtedly ever remain nameless, but I know in heaven he has a very real name.

In the weeks ahead there will be numerous other times to bring God's Word with daily visits to different congregations. After each service all of the people usually come forward and ask me to pray for them individually. That is very powerful. I am currently visiting Dr. Kumar and his family and am enjoying the hospitality of their home. I have also visited his hospital to pray for the sick and the orphanage to tell the stories of Jesus and hear the heavenly songs of the children. Tomorrow I will go to the village of (edited for safety in online version) where Pastor K operates a church center and an exemplary orphanage and stay with him and his family. Soon John Ruotsala and the rest of the team will arrive. Then of course there will be the two big pastors training seminars later this month, right up until we leave on March 5. Through it all I'm sure I will be buoyed by the memory of that one little boy who sat alone on the steps, at the feet of Jesus, and took in the good part. As promised - the last shall be first!

In God's love and peace,

Dennis

No comments: